In March 2008 I re-discovered a forgotten list of 30 things I had set out to do in my 30th year. I was happy to discover that I had done most of the things and became ambitious to do the ones that had gone undone.
Thinking more I thought, if I gave myself more time, what would I do? How many things have I always wanted to see, experience, do or feel? And the 101 Things To Do Before I Die list was born that same month. And the theme of sleep and travel seems to be as prevalent now as it was then. Must try to knock those things off first.
Here it is (if it’s struck-through it means I did it!):
- Go to Mustique Island
- Stay at the Four Seasons Bora Bora
- Go back to Maui
- Have my work have meaning like it used to (mentoring, building, giving, creating etc.) (done 2011)
- Produce a film.
- Donate over a million dollars over my lifetime.
Get a pedicure.(done 2011)
- Own/run a (gluten free) gite in France.
- Have a maid every two weeks
- Learn to sleep more than 4 hours a night
- Better my penmanship and write by hand more
- Fly a plane.
- Have custom linen curtains
- Stay at the Ritz Paris
- Stay at Hotel Particular Paris(done 2009)
- Own a Fortnum and Mason hamper then have a picnic
- Take all my best girlfriends on a weekend getaway at once.
- Own the best claw foot tub
- Be healthy.
- Swoon (done 2011)
- Watch the sun rise over Santa Monica from sea
- Visit Apifera Farm.
- Cook/eat at home everyday for at least a week.(done 2010)
- Grow an edible garden (and actually harvest it)
- Have a stone home (done 2009)
Upgrade my camera (last was 2001 – 6MP Digital Rebel) (done 2011)
- Try paddleboarding
- Eat Oysters and drink champagne.(done 2009)
- Drive a golf cart
Horseback ride on a beachFeb 2012
- Buy and wear a pair of jeans(done 2010)
- Photograph for Anthropologie(done 2009)
Not move for an entire year Create a home that I adore (2011 Santa Barbara Cotttage) Be met at an airport (done 2011)
- Stay at The Plaza and read Eloise. (done 2009)
- Unpack everything. (done 2010)
- Throw a Shelter Co. experience.
Buy a pair of Oliver Peoples sunglasses (done 2011)
- See Victoria Falls and do a safari.
- Buy a fixer upper house and remodel it
- Finish writing my book.
- Get over my fear of the talking on my personal phone
Own Lightroom (done 2010).
- Take a photo every day for at least a year
- Make someone else’s dream come true. (done 2007)
- Bake for a lot of people (and have cake stands to put the cakes on)
- Have better and prettier shoes. (done 2009)
- Own a first edition of “Le Petit Prince” by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Have a massage every four to six weeks for a year (Done 2001) Visit the Channel Islands (done 2011)
- Make a tent like the one in the movie, “The Holiday”
- Make a difference
- Condense all my web sites and like at least 1. (done 2010)
- Speak French without having to hesitate or throw in an English word. (done 2008)
- Visit Moray Firth Coast
- Be on ‘Wait, Wait, Don’t Tell Me‘
- Love my home, my city and work – all at the same time
- Do an unassisted hand stand
Buy a Four Seasons mattress (Done 2012).
- Feel sophisticated.
- Boogey like it’s 1999
- Figure out WordPress. (done 2009)
- Take a self defense course
- Have a mentor
- Refurbish my farm chairs. (done 2007)
- Have a beautiful & organized wardrobe/closet, especially for underpinnings.
- Dip into thermal hot springs in Iceland
Hire a financial planner
- Create a non-profit foundation for women (done 2011)
Have a trip planned for me. Even just a day
- Find a great gluten-free croissant
- Drive through the East Coast in Fall. (done 2009)
- Try the trapeze
- Make my home 100% green and sustainable
- Visit Pompeii
- Learn to sew
- Get rid of (and stop collecting) moving boxes
- Own a pony. Named pepper
- Have a gluten-free chef
- Own couture
Zipline (done 2012)
- Ride on the roof of a train in Equador
- Have Babycakes again (done 2011)
Have breakfast in bed and then stay there for the day
- Learn how to really use my camera
- Volunteer with my dog
- Find a signature parfume. (done 2008)
- Have a saline pool
- Read every book I own (I have a habit of buying without reading)
- Take a trip with my BFF
- Swing dance
- Have a stocked and large linen closet.
- Get a ukelele again and play it often
- Take Sunday’s off for at least a year
- Visit Gaspe Bay
- Cook an omelet that’s edible. (done 2008)
- Have theme music follow me for a day. Like in a movie.